Hike Table Mountain up Platteklip Gorge
- About 4 hours
This is the shortest, most popular route to the summit. Best choice for hikers with limited time and experience who are looking to “Hike Table Mountain”.
We meet at the Lower Cable Station and ascend via Platteklip Gorge to finish at the Upper Cable Station. From here you can choose how long you would like to stay on the summit, enjoying the views and the treats available at the “Café at the Top”, and then take the cable car back down. Cable car tickets are not included in the hike price. Cable car may be closed in strong winds, in which case we will hike down the mountain via Platteklip Gorge.
The views at the top of Table Mountain are that much more rewarding when you take the time to hike to the top. Platteklip Gorge is the shortest and most popular route to the summit. We meet at the lower cable station and hike to Platteklip Gorge via the contour path. From here the climb takes us between the towering Sandstone cliffs that make up Table Mountain before arriving at the summit with incredible panoramic views of Cape Town and the mountains stretching southwards to Cape Point.
Terrain: Rocky trail with large steps and steep sections. No vertical exposure - suitable for people with fear of heights
Good to know
- Arrive at the meeting point 15 minutes before the specified start time
- A short briefing and kit check will be conducted before we start hiking. All participants must ensure they have all the compulsory gear before arrival or risk not being allowed to take part in the hike
- This hike is 3 - 5 hours long. We hike slowly to allow all members of the group to keep up and take a number of breaks to eat, drink and enjoy the surrounding views
- Participants must have a good fitness level and be able to walk for more than 2 hours
- Under 18's must be accompanied by an adult
- If the cable car is closed the guide will lead a hike down Platteklip Gorge to return to the starting point
- Qualified tour guide
- All medical and safety equipment
- Water bottle on request
- Hiking snacks
- Cable car ticket
- Transport to and from the meeting point
- Gratuities (optional)
- Sun Protection
- Hat/beanie (if cold temp. is predicted)
- Backpack (can be shared)
- Jacket/warm Top
- Water/juice (1 litre minimum)
- 1 snack per hour of walking (compulsory)
- Any personal medication (compulsory)
- Clothing suitable for season
- Waterproof jacket if rain is predicted
Fantastic trip we saw a humpback whale, Heaviside dolphins, African penguins and a cape fur seal. We may have been very lucky with wildlife, but even if we had not seen as much it would’ve been a great alternative way to see the scenery of Cape Town!
My friends and I had such an amazing experience on this tour. We went on the 7am trip and the conditions were beautiful. Our tour guide was very helpful and made me feel very safe.
Such breathtaking views of Cape Town, and an added bonus of the dolphins playing right along side of us!! highly recommend this tour.
It was an amazing experience. Truly wonderful 2 hours and we got to kayak right into a school of dolphins feeding which was epic. We did glimpse 2 whales but they were far off the shore. The two guides are fun polite that made it an entirely wonderful experience. Definitely would do it again and again
An amazing experience Kayaking on the waters early morning in Cape Town. Its extra special if there is dolphins swimming around also. It does require a little bit of core exercise but it is great fun. The guide Jordan is super chilled and friendly. Great fun and and a cool bucket list activity to experience.
Well organized and hospitable hosts. Decent kayaks. The only problem was that we saw nothing and the whole journey in sea was roughly an hour - the rest of the time was getting organized, waiting for a late comer, and getting instructions. The problem is that they have to get back for the next round so there is no possibility of extending the tour a little extra which would be nice since, as I mentioned, we saw completely nothing in the sea.
Light Cancellation Policy
The guest can cancel free of charge until 24 hours before arrival. The guest will be charged the total price if they cancel in the 24 hours before arrival.
Terms & Conditions
The beauty of Table Mountain, Lions Head and the Atlantic Sea Board coastline from the comfort of our kayaks is unrivalled. Dolphins, seals, penguins, Sunfish and occasionally whales frequent our Cape Town.